Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has admitted he was surprised by the charge received from the FA after his controversial chant about North London rivals during the FA Cup winners parade.
Wilshere said: “It was a surprise.
“I didn’t know I’d been charged so I was like, ‘What?’ when one of the press officers told me. It’s being dealt with by the FA and my club, and what will be will be.”
Despite having been warned off the chant last year after receiving much scrutiny, Wilshere chanted the song once again and when asked if the charge was a lesson learnt, Wilshere claimed: “Yes, that’s one way of looking at it. But, at the same time, people have been giving me a lot of stick for having some fun and enjoying myself at the end of [a successful season].
“We’ve worked hard all year as a group of players and we’ve won a trophy. That’s the best feeling in the world. No matter what job you do, if at the end of the year you get a promotion and a bonus, you’re going to go out and celebrate. From that side of things [celebrating success] it was a bit harsh.
“I’ve always had that bond with the Arsenal fans since I was young because I came through the club. I grew up at Arsenal and I love the fans. I am quite proud of that. But, believe it or not, I’ve actually got family who are Tottenham fans so it’s nothing personal against them. It was just a bit of fun.”
Last week, Wilshere was charged by the FA in a statement that read:
“Jack Wilshere has been charged with misconduct in relation to Arsenal’s FA Cup celebrations on Sunday 31 May 2015.
It is alleged his conduct in making and/or inciting certain comments during the club’s open bus trophy tour was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.
The player has until 6pm on 10 June 2015 to respond to the charge.”





